Black rice is not forbidden any more, but is relatively cultivated in small amounts. The rice packs best health benefits. This forbidden rice is a very old rice variety that is rare and is growing in India for centuries. It is grown in the southern parts and North East region. The health benefits are plenty as it is loaded with anti-oxidants, in particular with anthocyanin that is great for heart patients, diabetics, and assists brain activity. It is ideal for hair and skin that has Vitamin e content. It has all the popular sections and is known as Chak Hao in the North East and Kavuni in Tamil. Here are the health benefits of black rice:
- Rich in antioxidants- The purple hue or deep black of the black rice features high antioxidant properties. It appears deep in color, same as the blueberries and blackberries due to the anti-oxidants in high content. The grains include red rice, brown rice, red quinoa, or other grain varieties. The anthocyanin restricts free radical movements causing various diseases such as cancer and diabetes. Black rice retains vitamins, antioxidants,
fiber, and minerals. It also has Vitamin E useful in maintaining skin, eye, and immune health.
- Good fiber source- The black rice has fiber 3 grams in each half cup serving. The fiber content prevents constipation, bowel movements, bloating, and diarrhea. Fibre gives a satiated feel on consuming; it binds waste and toxins with digestive tract, and flushes out on digestion cycle completion. Thus, it averts binging on fatty food and gaining weight.
- Natural detoxifier- Black rice cleanses body of toxins and keeps the liver free from unwanted substances by eliminating them. The black rice has phytonutrients to cleans the body.
- Preventing Obesity- People fighting obesity will find black rice to be the best to consume. It gives a full feel, preventing overeating. This rice variant prevents insulin resistance, developing the risk of obesity and diabetes.
- Preventing diabetes- The risk of obesity and diabetes is to avoid refined carbohydrates. The fiber helps absorbing glucose from the grain, and allows maintaining sugar levels. Thus, consume whole grains and ward of obesity and diabetes.
- Better heart health- The anthocyanins phytochemicals have a positive impact on healthy cholesterol levels. It reduces the low density lipo-protein cholesterol that causes cardiovascular diseases. It brings the cholesterol levels down.
- Richer protein content- Black rice provides an increased protein content amount. Eating black rice is helpful as it cuts the rice consumption. The proteins are a must to build muscles and helps in slashing the weight down.
In a nutshell, forbidden black rice is higher in protein and lower in calories and carbs. Here is
how to cook black rice:
- Instant pot- Cook one to one, equal water parts, 18 mins on high, release for 10 minutes.
- Stovetop- Cook in salted water like pasta, drain and fluff. Does not take more than 20 minutes.
- Pilaf- Gently simmer in stock or veggie with aromatics. Place black rice one cup to
stock 21/2 cups.
A few recipes with forbidden black rice:
Black rice with almonds
- Ingredients – 1 cup black rice, 2 tablespoons butter, ¾ cup water, ¼ cup silvered almonds, ¼ cup diced onion, and 1 cube chicken bouillon
- Place in a mesh sieve the black rice and run under water until the water is clear.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Stir black rice, almonds, and onions for 7 minutes, or keep it to light toast.
- Add bouillon cube and water to boil. Reduce heat and cover saucepan with a lid. Simmer rice for 30 minutes or till it gets tender and water is absorbed completely.
- Allow rice to cool for 10 minutes and separate it using a fork.
Black Rice Salad
Ingredients- Black rice 150g, Corn 200g, Ginger 4cm, Basic for garnishing, 150g Mango cut in cubes, salt and pepper, 2 Red chilli, cut into small pieces, remove the seeds.
- Place ginger slices, rice, and water into a pan of medium size and turn on high the heat.
- Bring to boil and cook rice, leave it to drain and cool.
- Get the dressing ready by mixing ginger, lime and vinegar in a cup and mix it all.
- Place rice, basil, mango, and red chili in a bowl and add the dressing, mix all together.
Black rice dosa
Ingredients- 1 cup black rice, 1 tbsp desi ghee, 1 tsp rock salt, ½ cup ural dal peeled, and
2 cups water.
- Soak daal and rice in Luke warm water for 6 hours.
- Drain the water and grind daal and rice together with 2 cups water.
- Allow it overnight to ferment.
- Use a non-stick pan. Apply ghee and spread the batter thin.
- Serve with chutney or eat with spicy tomato sauce.
|Iron||6% of the Daily Value (DV)|
How To Cook Black Rice (Kavuni)
See More Health Benefits Of Black Rice