Shawarma is a dish originated In Turkey and spread to Asia and Europe. People loving to eat tender, juicy, well-seasoned meat may find Shawarma to be a real treat for anytime as a lunch, late night snack or a delicious dinner, nothing can beat Shawarma eating.
What is Shawarma?
Shawarma is prepared from marinated meat that is slow roasted for many hours on a vertical spit. The meat may be of anything beef, lamb, or goat to chicken, turkey or any of these combinations. The meat once cooked is easy to carve into wide, thin strips and is stuffed inside bread with other vegetables such as cucumber, lettuce, onion, tomatoes, parsley, and pickles. Including condiments can be anything hummus to garlic yoghurt and pickled mango sauce. Of course the bread type will vary as per the one you choose such as Lavash, pita, and taboon that are highly popular.
A Shawarma is wrapped up heaven worth trying. It explodes with textures, flavors, and is filling you in the right away. It is like a taco, but is different. It is a tasty dish as Middle Eastern cuisine treats. Its name is from the word ‘cevirme’ the Turkish words that means ‘turn’ in English, referring to turning the meat to cook it slowly.
Facts of Shawarma
- Shawarma meat is split vertically and is grilled for hours until it is cooked thoroughly. This meat commonly is of lamb and chicken meats, while turkey, beef, and mutton are also included.
- It is a Middle Eastern Burrito and is not any greek dish. Do not confuse it with similar dishes such as gyro shawarmas, gyros, tacos, etc.
- Shawarma features a blend of flavors of vegetables, meat, bread, and sauces. Some add French fries and cheddar cheese slices in the roll.
- After cooking the marinated meat it is kept aside and split into thin slices. The meat is rolled in a pita or laffa bread. It also includes thinly sliced carrots, hummus, pickles, green chillies, Tahini, cheese, and chilli sauce, within the wrap.
- The recipes vary with each country, but the meat marination, sauces and pickled vegetable remain the same.
- Approximately a basic shawarma is 1300 calories with fat of 70 grams and sodium of 2300 mg. however; it may differ as per the quantity stuffed inside and the ingredients.
- The choice of eating Shawarma depends on ones choice, for lunch or dinner. Anyhow it is a hearty meal.
Popular side dishes of Shawarma
Shawarma is a filling meal and some prefer eating falafel, French fries and fresh salad with it. The taste may be enhanced if you like Tabbouleh, the fresh salad made of tomatoes, chopped parsley, mint, etc.
Invention of Shawarma
Shawarma was invented in the 18 th century in Turkey and was served in Greece. It was known as gyro meaning a turn in Greek. However, it spread across Middle East and the name acquired was Shawarma.
The Indian Foodies loved this food and it is highly popular among India varied foods. The non-veg lovers consider chicken shawarma is ideal and is wrapped with rumali roti, pita bread, with hummus, tahini, and pickled turnips, as per ones choice.
Indian pallet has included many new cuisines and this is a result of Indians traveling far and wide around the world that they see and eat various types of food.
Shawarma is made with simple innards such as Vinegar, Boneless chicken, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, tahini, lettuce leaf, and black pepper. It is the easiest dishes cooked at home and has made through the hearts of many Indians with its delectable taste.
Shawarma is made using simple innards like Boneless Chicken, Vinegar, Parsley, Lemon Juice, Tahini, Garlic, Black Pepper, and Lettuce Leaf. It is one of the easiest dishes to cook at home. This scrumptious dish has already won the heart of Indians with its luscious taste.
How to make Shawarma?
Shawarma is easy to make at home and it includes a number of ingredient combinations.
- First, select your choice of mean, prepare keeping a thin sliced chicken, beef or lamb overnight so that you get maximum flavor. Include shawarma spices such as cumin, sweet paprika, cinnamon, oregano, pepper, all spice ,and cardamom. Then, using a frying pan cook your meat with the marinate on until the juices evaporate and the meat gets
- Place the meat fillets and light toast the flatbread. Top it with tomato, lettuce, pickled turnips, pickles, and red onion. Generously drizzle it with sauce. Condiment choice can be anything a garlic yoghurt sauce or tahini.
- Wrap up tightly and serve.
Chicken Shawarma Recipe Elements
- Chicken boneless 200 gm
- Vegetable oil2 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon spice cardamom
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 cup shredded lettuce leaf
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon allspice
- 2 sliced tomato
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Salt as per your taste
- Minced garlic2 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- Onion 2 medium sliced
- 9 pita bread
Be it chicken shawarma or chicken biryani always douse the chicken overnight, so that the spices stick properly and gives the flavor.
Wash the boneless chicken pieces and immerse the chicken before at night in a mixture of Yoghurt, Vegetable oil, Black pepper, Mixed Spices, Cardamom, Salt, and Vinegar.
Add lemon juice, yoghurt, olive oil, salt, parsley, and black pepper, to make shawarma sauce. Blend them well and store it in refrigerator.
Start the oven to heat for some time. Get the earlier mixture and chicken mixed together and now bake it in oven for 40 to 50 minutes. After this get it grilled until the chicken becomes a little red brown.
As the batter is roasted cut it into slices in mound like shape. Now, use anything, rumali roti, pita bread, or brota mix to all the roasted prepared shawarma and wrap it up. Decorate with toppings of onion rings and lettuce leaves. Add mayonise sauce after mixing the mixture.